Friday, March 12, 2010

A girl’s guide to my new favorite phenomenon: Karen Zambos Vintage Couture

Karen Zambos Vintage Couture has gone from Crush newcomer to Beacon Hill closet staple in a matter of weeks. I recently had the opportunity to meet Karen herself at a buying show in New York. If ever I’ve met someone whose creative artistry is truly self-expressive, it’s this woman. I’ll be blunt: she’s so cool.
I sound like a sixth grader who just met her favorite teenie-bopper pop star, but since her continuing to produce stunning dresses and separates directly impacts my day-to-day life… I’m willing to push on with my starstruckness.
Just a few short weeks ago her line debuted at Crush—after after months of anticipation, mind you; the six+ month lead time on buying is soooo hard when you’re impatient— with a slinky T-back black silk “Richie” dress with gold embroidery detail, a sweet 1940s-esqu “Plaid Project” A-line, and her signature burn-out tank (this version featuring necklace like chains).
Then, on Wednesday, Karen’s most recent delivery made Rebecca, Kara and I weak in the knees. Since I wasn’t actually working, I quickly grabbed a size in each piece and headed for the fitting room. The “Renee” top in watermelon has one of the best fits I’ve ever seen in a silk top, and stands out with a [very] deep v-back and chain detail. It’s just long enough to fall around your hips, rather than above or below them, which is vital in a backless top.
I’m never sure how batwings and narrowly cut hips will fall on my body type… but, and I’m not apologizing for how vain this may sound, my hips looked GREAT. I can report with confidence that donning the “Cyia” dress is how most of you will spend y our summer. Emitting a feel that’s very Charlie’s Angels meets Kate Hudson, it’s the perfect follow-up cocktail piece to the Richie dress from our first delivery.
And finally, there’s the “Jessica” dress. Metallic linen with un-obstructive ruffle detail makes for a piece that’s elegantly trendy in a way that Coco Chanel and Oleg Cassini would appreciate. In fact, it’s what I imagine Jackie Kennedy would wear to have tea with Michelle Obama on the White House lawn. Since that’s not likely to happen though, I’d suggest pairing it with red or hot pink open-toe pumps for a summer wedding.
Yes, ladies, Karen Zambos Vintage Couture is sure to be decorating the racks at CB for years to come.


<3Brianne

No comments: